DEXA For Bone Density
At Twenty-five Harley Street we offer a premier DEXA service.
DEXA – also referred to as DXA – is short for dual energy X-ray absorptiometry. DEXA scans are safe, accurate, painless and non-invasive.
DEXA is an invaluable tool in the diagnosis of osteoporosis and osteopenia – a precursor to osteoporosis.
The Best DEXA Scan Service in London
Our DEXA machines are the most advanced on the market and follow the ‘Gold Standard’ as recommended by the National Osteoporosis Society (NOS) for bone density measurements.
Professor David Reid, one of the UK’s foremost authorities on DEXA and bone health, analyses each scan.
Unlike other services which may use radiologists to analyse results, not only is Professor Reid an expert in DEXA, he is also a Consultant Rheumatologist and Ambassador of the National Osteoporosis Society, so he has a full understanding of both DEXA and osteoporosis.
Personalised Reports By Leading Osteoporosis Consultant
Each DEXA report is assessed and written by the Professor. Choosing a DEXA at Twenty-five Harley Street means you have access to the advice and recommendations of his world-class expertise.
Osteoporosis is a serious condition which affects 3 million people in the UK making bones fragile. The National Osteoporosis Society say that one in two women and one in five men over the age of 50 will break a bone, showing the very serious effects of osteoporosis.
Why get a DEXA?
A DEXA scan may be recommended if:
- There is a familial history of hip fractures
- Conditions that cause bone thinning are present – such as rheumatoid arthritis
- You’ve had a fall and broken a bone as a result – especially if the fall was minor and shouldn’t have resulted in a fracture
- For women, in the case of early menopause – before the age of 45 – especially if they have not taken HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy)
- A woman only has one period a year
- In the case of post-menopausal women who have had a history of smoking and heavy drinking
- A patient has suffered eating disorders or has a BMI of less than 21
- A patient has been taking oral glucocorticoids (designed to stop inflammation) for three months or more
How much is a DEXA?
The DEXA scan for Bone Health at Twenty-five Harley Street represents exceptional value at £270. Although you will find other, seemingly cheaper options, none offers the level of technology and world-class expertise available at Twenty-five Harley Street. Our DEXA service for bone density includes:
- DEXA to detect osteoporosis
- Calculation of the bone’s the mineral content
- Instant Vertebral Assessment for the assessment of spine fractures
- Comparison with others of the same age and risk
- Full report plus images
- Turnaround usually within 24 hours, always within 48 hours
- Consultant-led advice from a top authority on osteoporosis
A DEXA scan will enable early diagnosis, and allow individuals to make lifestyle changes and, if needs be, enable doctors to prescribe the best medication which can stop osteoporosis in its tracks.
DEXA is completely safe, so patients can self-refer. Once comprehensively informed about bone health, individuals can start on any necessary treatment or lifestyle alterations.
If required, Professor Reid is also happy to offer a private consultation to discuss the results in person and prescribe an appropriate treatment plan.
- Eating Disorders