DEXA For Bone Density
NOW ACCEPTING SELF REFERRALS
WHY GET A DEXA SCAN?
A DEXA scan may be recommended if:
- There is a familial history of hip fractures
- Conditions that cause bone thinning are present – such as rheumatoid arthritis
- You’ve had a fall and broken a bone as a result – especially if the fall was minor and shouldn’t have resulted in a fracture
- For women, in the case of early menopause – before the age of 45 – especially if they have not taken HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy)
- A woman only has one period a year
- In the case of post-menopausal women who have had a history of smoking and heavy drinking
- A patient has suffered eating disorders or has a BMI of less than 21
- A patient has been taking oral glucocorticoids (designed to stop inflammation) for three months or more
BONE HEALTH/ OSTEOPOROSIS DEXA
Suitable for assessing bone health and fracture risk in all adults and for assessment of response to osteoporosis treatment :
BASIC SCREENING DEXA
- Two site BMD scan generally AP Spine and Dual Femur BMD with forearm to be substituted where needed
- Image and T and Z-score report to be printed and given to subject
- Clinical comment report to be provided by Professor David Reid within 1 working day to include standard lifestyle advice and requirements for further assessment.
ADVANCED OSTEOPOROSIS ASSESSMENT DEXA
To be strongly recommended for everyone over 50 and offered to anyone over 40 if requested. This assessment is also required for anyone wishing comparison with previous DEXA scan
- AP Spine and Dual Femur BMD with forearm to be substituted where needed as per basic service
- Additional Lateral Vertebral Assessment scan to detect vertebral fractures in all subjects over 50 and in younger patients at high risk of vertebral fracture
- Trabecular Bone Score calculated from the AP Spine scan – significantly improves risk assessment especially for vertebral fractures
- Image and T and Z-score report of AP Spine, Dual Femur and Lateral spine scan and to be printed and given to patient after scanning
- Full Clinical report provided by Professor David Reid within 1 working day to include 10-year risk of Major and Hip Fracture risk score (FRAX) in those over 40; Vertebral Fracture risk, full lifestyle and treatment advice where appropriate, follow-up advice.
- Additional Trending report to be provided if previous DEXA done at 25 Harley Street or full report brought by patient to the scanning unit.
WHOLE BODY COMPOSITION SCAN
Suitable for assessing total bone, fat and muscle mass in adults especially in those with low and high BMI, sportsmen and those with cardiovascular and diabetes risk. High precision allows monitoring of changes in body composition in response to lifestyle modification.
- Total Body and Regional BMD
- Total Body and Regional Fat Mass
- Total Body and Regional Lean Mass
- Basic Report to be provided at scanning
- Clinical comment report to be provided by Professor David Reid within 1 working day to include analysis of Visceral Adipose Tissue and Trending report where required
BOOK YOUR DEXA SCAN
If you have a referral from your clinician you can book directly now:
- Complete our secure online booking form – fill one in here
- Send us an email [email protected] or send us a fax on 020 7079 2103
We will send a confirmation. If you would like to rearrange your appointment please do give us at least 24 hours notice.