+44 (0)20 7079 2100
Latest News

What Travel Vaccinations Do I Need?

Get the vaccinations you need to travel!

You want to ensure you get the most out of your holiday by being healthy and well,  so you can make the most of it while you’re away, and feel revitalised when you return home.

A part of your travel preparations should be to ensure you have all the vaccinations you need before you travel. You can do this at Twenty-five Harley Street’s Travel Clinic

Do I need to get vaccinated?

If you’re only travelling to countries in northern and central Europe, North America or Australia, you’re unlikely to need any vaccinations. However, you may need a booster of your UK jabs. A consultation with a GP before you travel will give you all the travel advice you need when it comes to your health.

What increases your need for vaccinations?

  • If you’re travelling to countries that don’t have good sanitation
  • A rural destination puts you at higher risk than an urban one
  • The time of year matters, as some diseases are more common in the rainy season for example
  • If you’re coming into contact with animals
  • The longer your stay, the more diseases you’ll be exposed to

How long before you travel do you need to get your jabs?

  • Ideally you need to book in with a GP at least eight weeks before you’re due to travel.
  • Some vaccinations need to be given well in advance to allow your body to develop immunity.
  • Some also involve multiple doses spread over several weeks.

What vaccinations do I need?

When you visit a GP they will be able to advise you exactly what you’ll need to travel to your chosen destination.

Key vaccinations include:

Diptheria, polio and tetanus (combined booster)

This is given to you as a teenager but you may need a booster.


Typhoid Fever is prevalent in India, Pakistan or Bangladesh. You should get it if you’re travelling to the Indian subcontinent,  Africa, South and South East Asia, South America, the Middle East, Europe and Central America.

Hepatitis A

Is especially important if you have a liver condition. And when you’re travelling to, sub-Saharan and northern Africa, the Indian subcontinent (particularly India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Nepal), some parts of the Far East (excluding Japan), the Middle East and South and Central America.

Hepatitis B

This is usually contracted as a result of having sex or working with bodily fluids. Medical and aid workers need this one. You’ll need vaccinations over four to six months.

Japanese encephalitis

This is a type of viral brain infection that’s spread through mosquito bites, but very rare in travellers. You find it mostly in rural areas in South East Asia, the Pacific islands and the Far East.

Meningitis vaccines

Meningitis can be caused by a number of different infections, so several vaccinations offer some protection against it.


You should get this vaccination if you’re travelling to an area where rabies is common or you’re planning to do activities that may bring you into contact with animals, such as running or cycling. You’ll need to start the vaccination programme a month before you travel.


No injection for this one, but our GPs will be able to prescribe Malaria tablets and talk through any concerns you might have. They are also expert on the pros and cons of particular malaria medications. These include:

•             Atovaquone/Proguanil

•             Chloroquine and/or Proguanil

•             Proguanil

•             Doxycycline

•             Mefloquine

Same day appointment with a GP

When you’re busy in the run up to a holiday or going travelling, it can often be frustrating trying to a get an appointment at your local surgery. But your health is important, so why not take the stress out of your preparations by getting all your vaccinations completed under one roof.

You can get an appointment with a trusted doctor the same day at central London clinic Twenty-five Harley Street, which offers a 24/7 service – with appointments available at the clinic from 8.30am until 8pm at night. Dr Drashnika Patel explains, ‘Patients don’t need to be registered at Twenty-five Harley Street. Just dial up the usual number – 020 3883 9525.’